This guide outlines our Legacy to V5 kiosk upgrade program and will walk you through the process from beginning to end.
For another form of instructions about this process, please see the PC Swap Process Quick Start Guide.
Should You Swap?
Please note that G2 Kiosks are not officially supported due to incompatible printers and touch screens. Please contact your account representative for options for converting this market.
An internet-connected device is required to complete the upgrade process. If the location restricts cell phone usage, or if the area has poor signal, these initial steps should be taken before traveling to the site.
Order New PCs
To begin the PC Swap process, you will need to have an order entered into the 365 system. Contact your 365 Sales Representative to get this started. Let them know how many PCs you need: you can order 6 or 12 PCs at a time. Have a target schedule ready to give the 365 sales representative. When the order has been entered by 365 Sales, it will go to the 365 Fulfillment department. A representative from Fulfillment can work with you to confirm that your locations are ready for the PC Swap.
Order New Cards For Blackboard Locations
If you want to PC-Swap a Blackboard location, you must ship a loaded and unloaded Blackboard card to 365. Please note that this must be done 12-business-days before enabling Blackboard in ADM. These cards should be mailed to the following address:
ATTN: Implementation Team [YOUR SCHOOL NAME HERE]
1738 Maplelawn Drive
Troy MI 48084
You must also ensure that each PC Swap CPU order is paired with an Apriva-Encrytped IdTech card-reader, as described in Required Hardware below.
Complete GMA Migration
The GMA Migration Instructions will walk you through this process. If you have any questions on GMA migrations, contact your 365 Account Manager or call (888) 365-7382. Ensure that your ADM password is up to date before going on-site, as an ADM login is required during the Provisioning process.
If you are using a VDI Provider such as Cantaloupe, VendSYS, or Crane, your market identifier information will transfer over from SmartHQ to ADM. We recommend sending a new product catalog shortly after the swap is completed.
GMA for USConnect Locations
USConnect kiosks do not need to be GMA migrated. Prior to scheduling the Legacy to V5 CPU swap, operators should reach out to Fulfillment@365smartshop.com to confirm that their V5 USConnect credit card credentials are on file. Failing to confirm that these credentials are on file can result in a significant delay in the CPU swap process.
Copying Kiosks and Locations
Be prepared to select one of your current locations/kiosks to copy for your new V5 kiosk during conversion. You will want to choose one with the same branding and hardware setup, such as Gen3 or Gen3C. If you don't choose an exact match, problems may arise.
For example, if you have a bill acceptor on your kiosk, but the location you copy does not, then your bill acceptor will not function after copying. If that is the case, contact 365 Support at (888)365-6282 or email@example.com to get your devices working again.
- a 365Secure Credit Card Reader: can be installed at the time of the swap. Contact your 365 Account Manager or call (888)365-7382 if you need to order a 365Secure credit card reader.
- OTI Retrofit Kit – V5 - standard
- Apriva-Encrytped IdTech card-reader - Blackboard locations only
- Hardware for 365 Secure Installation
- Cordless Drill
- 5/16” Deep Well Socket
- Required for PC Swap
- Mobile Phone with Camera
- Recommended Hardware
- Additional PC
- Additional 365 Secure Reader
- Wire Cutters
- USB Keyboard and Mouse
- Additional OptConnect
Please note that due to the way the PC Swap process works, all kiosks at a location will be unusable once the process starts.
Provision the Server Kiosk
If the location is MKL with multiple kiosks, the Server kiosk must be provisioned completely before all other steps. Client kiosk provisioning will always fail if the server kiosk is not completed first. The server serial is listed in the location information in SmartHQ.
Below is a short video demonstrating how to provision your kiosk.
Locate Your Serial Numbers
Check if your kiosk has a serial number sticker on the side. The serial number will begin with the prefix “VSH” followed by six digits.
Once you have found it, take a picture of it. You will need it later for provisioning the V5 software. If you cannot find it, see the V5 Self Provisioning Flow - Operator article and follow the directions under Running Provisioner to obtain a barcode.
Check All Peripherals
We recommend you check all peripherals to ensure they are in good working order before swapping out the PC.
To check all the peripherals:
- Access the Valet Exit screen by tapping the upper, left corner of the kiosk screen.
- Enter your PIN. Go to the Kiosk Settings to test the peripherals, which are:
- Bill validator
- Receipt printer
- Credit Card reader
Cashing Out the Kiosk
If the kiosk has a Bill Acceptor, you need to run a Cash Out and remove the cash before continuing the PC Swap.
Closing Out the Legacy PC
Note: If you do not perform this step, you may potentially lose data and funding. This needs to be done before continuing with the PC swap.
To run a Batch and Sync:
- Tap the upper, left corner of the kiosk screen to access the Valet Exit screen.
- Enter your PIN.
- Go to the Kiosk Settings and select the Batch Credit Cards and Sync Kiosk. This process will sync the final transaction information stored on the kiosk and ensure that the credit card batch has been processed. This step may take several minutes to complete.
Please wait for one of the following messages and then proceed as directed in the message.
If you are installing the OTI Reader after the Batch and Sync, please see How to Replace the OTI Reader (With Video Tutorial).
Swapping the PC
For additional assistance with this process, see the How To - Legacy to V5 Conversion YouTube Video.
Open the Kiosk
- Insert a pencil or pen into the hole on the right side of your kiosk. The Power button is inset about three inches inside that hole. Press the button and release it, then wait for the Windows Shutdown Process to complete.
NOTE: Always shut the kiosk down using the Power button. Never unplug it to shut it off
- Remove the two screws from the back of the top bezel of the kiosk.
- Carefully open the kiosk. We recommend that you support the front of the kiosk in service position with a “Roller Stand”, which can be purchased from your local home improvement store.
Swap the PC
- Unplug all cables and devices connected to the PC. Remove one screw on the sound bar and move the bar to the side.
- Disconnect all the connectors.
- Remove 2x screws from the PC mounting bracket.
- If present, remove the USB temp sensor gateway.
- Set the new PC on the bracket and reconnect the serial port Center the PC on the bracket and replace the two mounting screws on the bottom of the PC.
- Connect all cables and devices to the new PC, as well as the USB temperature gateway. Make sure to plug the PC’s power cord in last: the kiosk will start powering up when the power cord is plugged into the PC.
Close the Kiosk
- Carefully close the front of the kiosk and make sure no cables get pinched.
- Align the kiosk front bezel with the screw holes and replace the two 10-24 Philips head screws.
- The screws must be aligned perpendicular to the front surface of the kiosk.
Operator: Verify Network Connectivity via ADM
See Legacy & V5 - Network Connectivity Verification and Troubleshooting - Operator Guide for instructions on verifying the network connectivity status remotely or on-site.
Configuring the new CPU
Please see the V5 Self Provisioning Flow - Operator guide for information on configuring the new CPU and running Provisioner. If you use LightSpeed, you will need to set up your routes in ADM, as routes are not migrated. Disable migrated Locations in SmartHQ if you do not want them on your Dashboard or get reports anymore.
You will not need to set your tax rates and categories in ADM, as these will carry over from SmartHQ. For more information on tax rates, please see ADM Tax Mapping and Creating Tax Rates.
Handling the Old Hardware
- Discard the old credit card readers.
- Return the old PCs to 365 using the same boxes in which the new PCs arrived.
NOTE: PCs MUST be returned to 365 within 30 days of the swap to avoid losing your deposit.
- You can request 6 or 12 more PCs to continue your Valet to V5 upgrades. Twelve is the maximum you can request at one time.
365 Retail Markets
PC Swap Returns
1738 Maplelawn Drive
Troy, MI 48084
PC-Swap Refurbishment Process
What happens to the PCs you remove and send back to 365?
- All dust and debris are removed.
- The chassis is cleaned.
- The hard drive size is checked.
- The hard drive size is checked.
If the hard drive size is 250 GB, it is replaced with a new 500 GB drive.
- The date and time are checked in the BIOS.
- If the date is off, the CMOs battery is replaced.
- The CPU is then checked three days later to ensure the date and time are correct.
- All USB ports are checked.
- The network port is checked.
- The BIOS firmware is updated.
- The CPU is imaged with the current CentOS image.
- After the imaging is completed, CPUs are checked to ensure they have the current CentOS image.
- All CPUs are labeled with:
- The initials of the person who processed the CPU.
- The date the unit was processed.
Swap Process: Tips & Tricks
- Never unplug the kiosk if it is on, always use the Power button.
- Always take a picture before you start disassembling.
- It is easier to disconnect and connect the devices if the PC is slightly angled forward.
- You will need a #1 screwdriver to remove the appropriate screws.
- Use a “Roller Stand” or similar product to support the front of the kiosk during service.
- Watch for pinched cables.
- Hold wire cutters upside down to avoid damaging cables.
- It is very easy to accidentally turn off the router power.
- If the Fingerprint Reader is not giving clear readings, clean it. Click Cleaning Instructions for Multiple Devices for more information about cleaning your fingerprint reader.
- For the 4xxx Readers, clean the gel surface with sticky tape.
- Gently dab it with the sticky side of the tape. Do not rub it with paper or get it wet.
- Do not use industrial cleaners or solvents.
- When disconnecting a serial / DVI / VGA connector, often the post becomes unscrewed, use a 3/16” nut driver to fasten it.
- Zip ties can be curled to make it easier to loop them through the holes.
- Make sure the 2x screws on the back of the kiosk are in when the service is done.