Avanti Markets Inc. is committed to serving the needs of our consumers and operators who have visual,
hearing and physical challenges. This document provides an overview of our current support of
accessibility features within Avanti Markets’ products and services. This information will continually
evolve as Avanti continues to drive new accessibility features into both our consumer and operator
facing environments. Avanti Markets considers accessibility in all development decisions and employs a
user experience expert to review how best to deploy our products to support the goals and
requirements of the American Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Randolph-Sheppard Act (RSA).
BACKGROUND – RSA AND ADA
The Randolph-Sheppard Act of 1936 20 U.S.C. § 107 et seq., is a federal law which mandates a priority
to blind persons to operate vending facilities on Federal property. The goal is to provide persons who
are blind to engage in remunerative employment and self-support through operation of vending
facilities. The Department of Education (ED) administers the Randolph-Sheppard Act and designates
individual State licensing agencies with program administration responsibility.
The Randolph-Sheppard Act and its implementing regulations require that Federal property managers
give priority to and notify the State licensing agencies in writing of any opportunity. With certain
exceptions, the Randolph-Sheppard Act (20 U.S.C. 107 et seq.) requires that blind persons licensed by a
State licensing agency under the provisions of the Randolph-Sheppard Act be authorized to operate
vending facilities on Federal property, including leased buildings.
The American Disabilities Act, among other things, calls for access to be made readily available and for
the removal of obstructions that may prevent visually or hearing impaired individuals, or the physically
disabled consumer, to take advantage of vending and food services.
Avanti Markets’ support of these programs to date is focused on enabling a supportive and compliant
consumer experience to support the visually-impaired Operator.
ACCESSIBILITY ON AVANTI MARKETS’ KIOSKS
The Avanti kiosks have undergone user experience modifications to increasingly support the visually,
hearing or physically impaired community. Current deployed capabilities include the following:
• Ability to activate audio support as needed via a button on the kiosk screen in the upper right
• Computerized voice (text-to-speech) to read static instructional messages such as “scan next
item and pay” to enable interaction with the system.
• Computerized voice (text-to-speech) to read product descriptions as they are scanned into the
• Extended timeouts on all functions when audio support is activated, to enable a visuallyimpaired consumer to have additional time to engage and respond.
ACCESSIBILITY PRODUCT INFORMATION FOR AVANTI MARKETS’ OPERATORS
With audio support activated, the user interaction at the kiosk will be as follows:
1. User scans item. Computerized voice-over speaks the scanned product information aloud,
including item size, product name, number of items, and price (e.g. "20oz Diet Coke. 1. $2.99”)
to provide feedback to the user regarding the product.
2. Static voice prompts providing directional instructions (e.g. “Scan next item” or “Pay”)
3. User selects payment type and completes purchase (e.g. swipe credit/debit card, or scan market
4. Voice prompt to indicate either that payment was successful or providing a generic error
message if an error occurs.
Additional support has been designed and developed to provide design templates at the kiosk
associated with specific needs around larger fonts, inverted colors, grayscale, etc.
For the physically impaired, to meet ADA regulations:
• The freestanding Avanti Markets’ kiosk with a portrait screen configuration has a centerline of
48 inches from grade level. Note: For countertop Avanti Markets’ kiosk installs, we recommend
that the counter or stand that the kiosk is placed on not exceed a height of 30” to ensure that
the centerline of the kiosk screen does not exceed the 52”maximum height outlined by ADA
• The freestanding Avanti Markets’ kiosk with a portrait screen configuration is equipped with an
alternate mouse and tracking ball for access and is mounted at 23.5 inches from grade level.
Additional functionality to support ADA and RSA will continue to be innovated for years to come.
Rollout plans will be communicated as design and development progress, but please feel free to contact
the Avanti Markets to answer any questions you might have.