Cleaning Instructions for:
Credit Card Readers
Table of Contents
- Bill Acceptor Cleaning Instructions
- Cleaning the Bill Acceptor
- Credit Card Reader Cleaning Instructions
- What is it?
- How do I use it?
- How do I order it?
- ELO Touchscreen Cleaning Instructions (COVID-19)
- Important Considerations Before Cleaning your Elo Product
- Cleaning and Disinfecting Procedure
- Deep Cleaning the Touchscreen
* US CDC-Recommended Disinfectants Safe for Elo Products
* US EPA-Recommended Disinfectants Safe for Elo Products, including Registration #
* Do NOT use these Materials When Cleaning or Disinfecting your Elo Product
- Fingerprint Reader Cleaning Instructions
- Care and Maintenance
- Cleaning Instructions
* Safe Cleaning Agents
- Mobile Phone Cleaning Instructions
- Mobile Phones
- Here are Some Guidelines
* Apple Phones
* Samsung Phones
Bill Acceptor Cleaning Instructions
The Bill Acceptor for a MicroMarket should be maintained and cleaned on a regular basis to keep your market up and running smoothly. Learn how to care for the bill acceptor and interpret the status light codes on the back of the device.
Cleaning the Bill Acceptor
The bill acceptor has internal mechanisms that need to be occasionally cleaned to maintain optimum performance in a MicroMarket. Dust and dirt from the inserted bills can impact bill travel. Over time this can obscure the sensor located on the scanning plate, causing the device to reject valid bills or jam. Clean the acceptor by completing the steps below:
- Turn off the Bill Acceptor – Power down the device by removing the ribbon cable connected to the left side of the device, or by unplugging the XP (Expansion) Unit.
- Push in the yellow latch located at the top of the device.
- Remove the Magazine – Release the cash magazine by holding the yellow latch down towards the top of the device. Lift up, and then back on the magazine.
- Unlatch the LED Housing – Unlatch the LED Housing by lifting up the metal bar below the LED Status light.
- Remove the Scanning Plate – Remove the LED Housing by holding the metal bar and pulling back. The scanning plate can then be removed.
- Clean the device – Clean the bill path with a can of condensed air and/or soft cloth. You may use mild, non-abrasive, non-petroleum based cleaners that are sprayed on the cloth. (Do not spray cleaner directly onto the device).The scanning plate can be cleaned with Windex or rubbing alcohol.
Credit Card Reader Cleaning Instructions
What is it?
The Card Reader Cleaning Card is a blank credit card that has an alcohol and gauze strip where normal cards have a magnetic strip.
How do I use it?
- Open the pouch, swipe the card through the dirty card reader twice, once on each side with the alcohol and gauze strip.
- Throw away the card. (It is single-use and the alcohol will dry out quickly.)
These are card reader maintenance tools and should be used weekly on problematic card readers.
How do I order it?
Send an email to the 365 Sales Admin team at SalesAdmin@365smartshop.com.
Complete the following template:
Product – 1 box - Card Swipe Cleaners (50ct)
Company / Branch –
Contact Person –
Contact Phone –
Email Address –
Shipping Address –
Note: Be sure to complete ALL of the fields, so the order is not sent back for corrections or completions.
- Can be purchased for $22.00 + S&H (50 ct)
- Only come in boxes of 50. You cannot order any other quantities.
- Are free to customers, but they must pay shipping
We suggest trying to bundle it with another order if possible.
ELO Touchscreen Cleaning Instructions (COVID-19)
March 12, 2020
An unclean or smudged touchscreen can affect the performance of a kiosk. The screen can be cleaned by spraying standard glass cleaner on a soft cloth. Do not spray cleaner directly on the monitor to prevent any liquid from leaking into the unit.
This section describes the recommended cleaning and disinfecting procedure for Elo products relative to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Included are recommended disinfectant products that are safe to be used with Elo products and approved by the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Important Considerations Before Cleaning your ELO Product
- Disconnect the power cable to power down the device.
- Select only non-abrasive cleaning cloths to avoid scratching touchscreens.
- Do not get liquids inside the unit. If liquids get inside the unit, have a qualified technician determine whether it is safe to power the unit back on.
- Avoid highly concentrated Isopropyl alcohol (70%+), bleach or ammonia solutions, as these may cause discoloration.
Cleaning and Disinfecting Procedure
- Dampen a new clean, non-abrasive cloth with your chosen disinfectant.
- Squeeze any excess moisture from the cloth. You can also use recommended pre-dampened wipes.
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Clean the surfaces by wiping them with the cloth or wipe, and allow them to dry.
Deep Cleaning the Touchscreen
Dirt buildup along the inside edge of the kiosk chassis can increase pressure around the inside edges of the touchscreen, and over time impact the calibration of the device. If the screen has continuing problems with registering touch, we recommend that you remove the touchscreen from the kiosk chassis completely and clean around the edges.
For disinfectant solutions that are safe for use with Elo products, see the information below.
US CDC-Recommended Disinfectants Safe for ELO Products
- Household bleach solution (1/3 cup bleach per gal. of water)
- Isopropyl alcohol (70% solution)
US EPA-Recommended Disinfectants Safe for ELO Products (including Registration #)
- Clorox Disinfecting Wipes - Reg. # 5813-79
- Clorox Healthcare Bleach Germicidal Wipes - Reg. # 67619-12
- Clorox Commercial Solutions Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Wipes - Reg. # 67619-25
- Lonza Disinfectant Wipes - Reg. # 6836-313
- Lysol Brand Clean & Fresh Multi Surface Cleaner (20% solution to water ratio) - Reg. # 777-89
- Purell Professional Surface Disinfectant Wipes - Reg. # 84150-1
- Sani-Cloth Prime Germicidal Disposable Wipes - Reg. # 9480-12
More information from the EPA on recommended disinfectants for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) is available here: https://templatelab.com/epa-registered-disinfectant-products/
Do NOT use these Materials When Cleaning or Disinfecting your ELO Product
- K5902137 (451920612602) MDRC-1219 (TS) 18/05/2017 19 4
- Isopropyl Alcohol at concentration > 70%
- Methyl (as methanol) > 35% *
- Ethyl (as ethanol)> 35% *
- Thinner or Benzine
- Strong alkali lyes
- Strong solvents
- Detergents with fluoride
- Detergents with ammonia at concentration > 1.6%
- Abrasive cleaners
- Detergents with abrasives
- Steel wool
- Sponges with abrasives
- Steel blades
- Cloth with steel threads
* These are usually in an alcohol form in anti-septic products.
Fingerprint Reader Cleaning Instructions
Care and Maintenance
The fingerprint reader will perform optimally when cleaned on a regular basis. The silicone used over the reader is very delicate and prone to absorbing chemicals in the environment. Be careful what products you use to clean the device.
The fingerprint reader should be cleaned with a soft, lint-free cloth using water or an extremely low concentration of one of the safe cleaning agents shown in the table below. Exposure to unapproved cleaning agents will cause damage to the device. The silicone may also be cleared of lint and debris by using a piece of cellophane (Scotch) tape.
- Apply the sticky side of a piece of adhesive cellophane tape to the window, and then peel it away.
- Apply water only (or low concentration of a safe cleaning agent (see below) to a soft lint-free material (same as used to clean camera lenses) and gently dab the fingerprint reader window.
Caution: Do not rub the silicone coating with an abrasive material, (including paper), pour any liquid directly on the reader window, or submerge the scanner in liquid.
Safe Cleaning Agents
The reader should be cleaned with water only to prevent damage to the silicone covering over the reader. If the reader must be disinfected, use Ethanol or Isopropanol in concentrations of less than 50 percent.
409 Spray Cleaner
Mild Detergent (such as Manu-Klenz)
Do NOT Use:
- Isopropyl Alcohol-(CAS #67-63-0, C3H7OH) – concentration in water greater than 50%.
- Ethyl Alcohol/Ethanol-(CAS # 64-17-5, C2H60) – concentration in water greater than 50%.
- Bleach (Sodium Hypochlorite)-(CAS # 7681-52-9, CaClO) – in any concentration.
Mobile Phone Cleaning Instructions
With the Coronavirus still being a concern for many people, 365 has some best cleaning practices to follow to help keep your markets sanitized, safe, and up and running.
Don’t forget to encourage your consumers to disinfect their mobile phones!
Here are Some Guidelines
Clorox Disinfecting Wipes and similar products with 70% isopropyl alcohol can be used to “gently” clean iPhones and other devices. Do not use bleach! Consumers should gently wipe the hard, nonporous surfaces of their Apple product, such as the display, keyboard, or other exterior surfaces.
Be sure that your consumers avoid getting moisture in any opening and avoid submerging their Apple product in any cleaning agents.
Samsung recommends the following guidelines on their website, Samsung.com:
- Turn off your device and unplug it from any power source.
- Remove any covers, cases, or accessories.
- Use a lint-free, soft microfiber cleaning cloth to clean your You may also use a camera lens cleaning cloth. These are gentle and will not damage your device.
- Gently wipe the front and back of your device with the microfiber Do not apply too much pressure.
- Avoid getting excess moisture on your device, however, you may dampen the corner of the microfiber cloth with a small amount of distilled water.
- You can also use a disinfectant, such as a hypochlorous acid-based solution (containing 50-80ppm) or an alcohol-based solution (containing more than 70% ethanol or isopropyl alcohol).
- Note: Do not apply these liquid solutions directly to your device! They should be carefully applied to a microfiber cloth.
- Avoid using cans of compressed air, as they may damage the surface of your device.
- Do not use bleach or ammonia on your device.